Wednesday, July 13, 2011

#3: I Stopped to Say, "Thank You, Mom and Dad!"

We are all aware that the world is constantly changing. It’s fast, and if you can’t keep up, then you get left behind. Because of that, even family situations are becoming complicated. There are cases when the father or the mother rarely has time for their children because they are pretty busy with their work. In some cases, it’s the other way around. Children don’t have time for their parents because they would rather hang out with their friends than stay inside their home. It could also be because of schoolwork or extracurricular activities that children are not at home most of the time. In short, I believe that today’s families are becoming more and more FRAGILE. In fact, broken families are becoming common. The usual reason: lack of TIME.
I consider my family as my treasure. Though my dad is busy with his work, he still has time to listen to the stories of our daily lives. He even gives us some advices and guidance regarding our academic and personal lives. He always shows his support in our every endeavor. My mom is a housewife. Since she’s almost always around, she makes sure that our needs are duly provided, may it be personal or emotional. Like my dad, she always shows her support on our every endeavor.
During my high school years, I rarely had time for my parents. I’m always busy with schoolwork, and it’s pretty demanding when it comes to time. I’m not around at home almost every weekend because of group practices and projects. But in return, I gave my parents good grades and honor. In short, I exchanged my family time with my academic time to make them happy. I did not give them company but I gave them my good academic performance instead to fulfill my lack of time for them. I felt guilty, but at that point in time, that was the only way that I can show my love for my parents and to show how grateful I am to be their daughter.
After watching the video “Rich Son, Poor Son”, I remembered the words that my dad told me: “When you become successful, you won’t have time for us anymore. You will be busy with your work, and you will visit us rarely.” I said, “Dad, that’s ridiculous! I will still be here to take care of you.”, but my dad told me, “No. I know it will happen. You will be busy with work and you’ll have your own family.”
I don’t want to be idealistic. I know it’s inevitable, and most likely, ten years from now, I will do the same things that I did way back in high school: sacrifice my time for them to make them proud and happy. I know I have to sacrifice a lot of things then when that time comes. The best thing that I can do is to fulfill their dreams of having a farm, a vegetable garden, and a comfortable house to live in the province when my father retires. Those are the things that they wanted the most when they grow old. At the same time, I will try my very best to see to it that I am always there for them when they need me. Those are the ways that I can express my gratitude to my parents for raising me well.
I’m still in college, and honestly speaking, I have lots of time allotted to spend with my family, especially my parents. While in this stage in life, I will devote a part of my time with them and at the same time give them good grades. Though I aim to become a Dean’s Lister, I don’t give almost all of my time with my studies, like I did in high school. I devote some time “serving” them by doing household chores, looking after my siblings, and even giving my mom a massage every night just to bond with them in a way. I also make sure that they will have me when they needed company. For now, those are the things that I can do to show them my gratitude. While there’s still time, I devote my time to them, because in the future, I won’t be able to do these things anymore to them. I must do what I can to thank them for raising and loving me…before it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment