Saturday, October 22, 2011

#6: Descriptive Writing: Conquering Asia's Longest

Can you ever imagine “flying by wire” and “experiencing extreme adrenaline” in just a day? Have you ever thought of “flying” at an astounding height of 4500 feet in the midst of a misty drizzle?

That day seemed to be unpredictable. The sun and rain were in the middle of an argument. My family and I were at the Forest Park at Manolo Fortich, Bukindon. This park is known for being the home of Asia’s longest zip line, 840 meters long and is situated 4500 feet above sea level.
When we first stepped foot, the temperature seemed to contrast the weather. It was cold, but the sun attempted to wash the cold away. Not minding the weather, my father and I decided to proceed with our activities as planned. From that cozy place where we were eating our delicious lunch, we watched the other zip liners “fly” from the tip of a mountain to another mountain. From there, I could already feel the adrenaline rush of crossing between the two tall mountains. My father and I decided to try the breathtaking main attraction of the park.

After buying the yellow wrist tickets costing 600 pesos, we headed to the equipment section, where we will be wearing protective equipment. It consists of a red helmet and a belt harness. Before we headed to the first level of the zip line, the staff in charge of the equipment made sure that our harnesses are secured. Then, we were led by two other staff members to the first level of the zip line, which is lower in height and shorter in length compared to that of the main attraction.

While we were lining up, we could already feel the thrill and the excitement of trying the zip line. When we were already zipping, I cannot help but marvel at the extravagance of the scenery. There were tall pine trees below us, as well as gigantic mountains. I could also feel the cold but soothing air of Bukidnon. I have seen all of these marvelous sites in the first level of the zip line.
But I do admit, that made me crave for more. After the first zip line, I thought that we will then go directly to the most awaited site, but I was wrong. We found out that there will be a priority number, and we have to wait for our number to be able to ride the tractor that will take us to the top of Mount Kitanglad, where the zip line starts. After getting our priority number, we have to wait together with about a hundred excited people who are also waiting for their precious turn. While waiting, I can’t help but get more intrigued with the zip line at the site of people who just finished the great feat.

When the massive tractor came, or priority number got recognized, which signaled us to get on the tractor, together with 10 other people. We were to travel all the way up to the tip of the mountain. Our belted selves were on the verge of excitement as we were nearing the starting point. We did not mind the rough roads, we just thought of accomplishing one great feat: surviving Asia’s longest zip line.

When we reached our destination, we were made to cross a hanging bridge that will take us to another equipment section. Upon crossing, drizzle arrived. At that time, I was worried that the activity will be postponed for it might be followed by a heavy rain. When I reached the equipment section, we were stripped off our belt harnesses and were made to change into another type of harness. It’s blue in color, has less belts, but has a lot of wires attached, not to mention that it’s heavier. We lined up again for our turn. When our time came, we were made to hold the metal gate that will be opened when we will be released. Then the staff raised the lower part of my body and attached harnesses to the wires. As instructions are being given, I could feel my heart beating fast. I could feel the excitement, the thrill, and my adrenaline rushing. This is it, this is really is it. Then, the gates were opened…

And there I am, thrilled, astonished and fascinated with the breathtaking scenery. There were a lot of tall pine trees, lush vegetation, and humongous rocks. The latter partially alarmed me, but it faded as dust as I felt the moment of “flying” like a bird, even for just a few minutes. I screamed with all my might to release the fear and excitement of being 4500 feet above the ground. There was one thing that I had in mind: I’m going to accomplish one of the greatest feats in my entire life!

The ride lasted for about a minute and a half. As I was nearing the finish line, I felt the last moments of being on air, recounting all those moments of freedom and amazement. Then, I knew what it feels like being a bird, conquering my fears, and experiencing extreme adrenaline rush.

At the finish line, I had my photo taken and my certificate claimed. Now, I have real evidence that I indeed conquered and survived Asia’s longest zip line, in the midst of a drizzle and cold weather. It is one adventure that I will never forget.

And I do admit, I want to try it again. J

No comments:

Post a Comment