Tuesday, June 14, 2011

#1: My Mission in Life

We had this group sharing in our English class last Friday, and we had to answer three questions related to the parable we read earlier that time.  Among the three, the last question struck me the most. It goes like this: “What do you think is your mission in life?”.

Honestly, I thought at that time that “mission” is synonymous to the word “goal”, that’s why, during our group discussion, I shared my goals and plans regarding my college life: that I wanted to finish my studies, graduate cum laude (or, God – willingly, higher than that. Magna cum laude, perhaps?), take the board exam, pass it, and have a good job. But then, one of us said, “A mission is different from a goal.” That statement made me feel embarrassed, as if like, “Oh my God! I had just shown my stupid side in front of them.” But then, that experience led me to think of that one word that started all those pondering moments after that day: mission.

To be honest, when I hear the word mission, the first things that come into my mind are those action-slash-mystery movies and stories, wherein the characters are given tasks to protect someone from death or to uncover a hidden truth. I think of James Bond or the Men in Black or even Nancy Drew when I hear that word. But after that day, I realized that it is something deeper. It is something that I should find out for myself. It is…my calling.

I don’t know if I had hit the right word, but I want to use calling to define mission in this blog.

I believe that my mission in life is easy to say but difficult to do and maintain. In this stage in my life, I think it is my mission as a student, a teenager, and a part of the youth to set a good example to others, to be a model of excellence and morality, may it be to the younger generation, to my fellow young adults, or even to the society’s seniors. Do you think it’s a pretty easy task? Well, you better think again.

How to be a good role model? Well, that part is, in my opinion, pretty difficult to do. Why? It’s because we are humans. We commit mistakes, both small and big ones. Of course, we don’t want our fans (or followers, or whatever you call them) to do the same big mistakes that we have done. As role models, we want ourselves to serve as their inspiration for them to achieve their dreams and be the best that they can be.

To be a good role model, I must show them how to be successful by living with my legacy. They will not follow you unless they don’t see you doing the thing that you want them to do. With that, I must be the best that I can be. I must excel not only in my studies but in the other aspects in my life as well. I must live with morality and integrity. Well, maybe not to the extent of trying your very best to be perfect because a human being will never, ever attain that. Let’s just try our best to be the best.

Living like a role model for others might be a herculean task to fulfill because of life’s various temptations, but for me, if you have the desire and the passion to change the world one step at a time, then I am more than willing to sacrifice myself for the betterment of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment